I adore gardens. At my last house, a rental, I tried to make a few flower beds. I spent days digging and pulling up weeds. Then after spending some good money, I planted and pruned and weeded. They looked really good and I was excited. However, it didn’t last.
After a month or so, it was a complete waste. The deer and armadillos were so plentiful there, they ate everything. I mean EVERYTHING! I may as well have strapped dollars to the tree for the animals to eat. Therefore, I never planted anything at that house again that was not in a pot on the back porch.
Now that I have purchased my own home, I want to try a garden again. This time though, I am starting in the fenced in backyard and with vegetables. I can’t say that I have actually seen any deer in our neighborhood, but I am sure they are there. It is a wooded area after all. However…I just hope that between the fence and the dog and my prayers, my garden project will not be futile.
Anyway, I thought I would do something with the sloped part of my yard above my retaining wall that is really not good for anything but annoying, slanted mowing. So I bought some 4’x4′ garden boxes to fill the area. I thought the boxes would give the garden some kind of order (my military side demand’s this) and design (my girly side needs this).
Of course, none of my projects are ever easy. I couldn’t just pick a flat area, throw a box together and then fill it with dirt, and then say, bam-we have a garden. No. That’s boring. I chose to do six boxes on the sloped rectangular hill, which has required us to dig the boxes into the hill on one side and then build them up on the other.
For the build up, I decided to use some of the abandoned bricks that the former owner left piled behind the shed. (See, now I am recycling too!)
The hardest part has been making all the boxes flow together. We had to make sure each box is level of course, but at the same time, they have had to be at same height as the other boxes and the same distance from the retaining wall. The measuring and leveling of wood, dirt and clay has been exhausting.
It has now been weeks since this project started. Between two jobs, workouts, visits to my horse, special events and the basic demands of life, the project has been limited to a few scant hours here and there.
I have had help though. My dad and boyfriend have labored away with me and helped me when the unlevel bricks have taunted me to the point of madness. Clearly, I do not have future in professional landscaping.
Anyway, we are down to one box to level. The remaining five are in place, have gravel for drainage, and are ready for soil and plants. (Well, I do have one filled box that was our prototype.) This weekend I am getting some soil delivered and the boxes will be filled. Then we can start planting and watch it grow!